I found this interesting, and when a review copy is available I will likely post a review. Right now, I can only give you a few tidbits from the info I was supplied with. Take note of the ties this project has to Detroit, and some of the amazing collaborators the DJs worked with.
“RE:GENERATION [is] a documentary film directed by Amir Bar Lev—who made the award-winning documentaries “My Kid Could Paint That” and “The Tillman Story”—due out February 2012. Produced in association withThe Grammys, the film looks at the history, songwriting and studio process of different musical genres through the eyes of five of the most influential electronic producers/DJs in music today. The tag line for the film is “5 DJ’s Turn the Table of the History of Music.”
The five DJs, their genres and collaborators are:
- Mark Ronson — Jazz — “A La Modeliste” (with Erykah Badu, Mos Def, Trombone Shorty, members of the Dap Kings and Zigaboo Modeliste)
- DJ Premier — Classical — “Regeneration” (with NAS and the Berklee Symphony Orchestra)
- The Crystal Method — R&B — “I’m Not Leaving” (with Martha Reeves of the Vandellas and the Funk Brothers)
- Pretty Lights — Country — “Wayfaring Stranger” (with Dr. Ralph Stanley and LeAnn Rimes)
- Skrillex — Rock — “Breakn’ A Sweat” (with members of The Doors)